Red Data Lists
"A Red Data List is a catalogue of species whose future survival in nature hangs in the balance" - Golding (2002).
The Southern African Plant Red Data Lists set out the conservation status of certain species in Southern Africa.
The definitions used are set out below. Holding the mouse over the abbreviation in the checklist will give the full word and clicking on the link will bring you to this page for a fuller explanation.
- EX (Extinct)
- When there is no reasonable doubt that the last individual has died. Indicated as follows: [EX]
- EXW (Extinct in the Wild)
- When the taxon is known only to survive in cultivation, in captivity or as a naturalised population well outside the past range. Indicated as follows: [EXW]
- CR (Critically Endangered)
- When the taxon is facing an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild in the immediate future. Indicated as follows: [CR]
- EN (Endangered)
- When the taxon is not Critically Endangered but is facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild in the near future. Indicated as follows: [EN]
- VU (Vulnerable)
- When the taxon is not Critically Endangered or Endangered but is facing a high risk of extinction in the wild in the medium-term future. Indicated as follows: [VU]
- LR (Lower Risk)
- When the taxon has been evaluated, does not satisfy the criteria for any of the categories: Critically Endangered, Endangered or Vulnerable. Indicated as follows: [LR]
Taxa included in the Lower Risk category are separated into two sub-categories:
- LR-nt (Lower Risk - Near Threatened)
- Taxa which do not qualify for Conservation Dependent, but which are close to qualifying for Vulnerable. Indicated as follows: [LR-nt]
- LR-lc (Lower Risk - Least Concern)
- Taxa which do not qualify for Conservation Dependent or Near Threatened. Indicated as follows: [LR-lc]
- DD (Data Deficient)
- When there is insufficient information to make a direct, or indirect, assessment of its risk of extinction based on its distribution or population status. Listing of taxa in this category indicates that more information is required and acknowledges the possibility that future research will show that threatened classification is appropriate. Indicated as follows: [DD]
Lists of Red Data List species
A list of Red Data List species in Mozambique which are marked as such on this site, may be found by following this link. Not all the species have yet been added to the database and the list is therefore incomplete.
Copyright: Mark Hyde, Bart Wursten, Petra Ballings and Meg Coates Palgrave 2007-17
Hyde, M.A., Wursten, B.T., Ballings, P. & Coates Palgrave, M.
. Flora of Mozambique: Red Data lists.
http://www.mozambiqueflora.com/reddata.php, retrieved 29 April 2017